Supporting Women Through Education
The Charitable Trust of the Canadian Federation of University Women Aurora/Newmarket Inc. (Charitable Trust) provides a number of awards to encourage higher education for women:
- Secondary School Awards: There are six awards given out annually to graduating secondary school students from schools in northern York Region. Two awards of $1500 are given to eligible students who attend one of five schools in the York Region Catholic School Board. Four awards of $1500 are given to eligible students who attend one of the ten schools in the York Region District School Board.
- Indigenous Student Award: One award of $1500 is given to an lndigenous student attending Sutton District High School who is pursuing post-secondary education (university, college or apprenticeship program).
- Children’s Aid Society Award: One award of $1500 is given to a former Crown ward of the York Region Children’s Aid Society (York CAS) who is currently receiving service from York CAS and transitioning out of CAS care in the coming year.
- Seneca College Award: This $1,000 award is to be presented to a mature female student who is enrolled in any diploma program of the King Campus of Seneca College and will benefit from assistance.
- The CFUW Aurora/Newmarket Bursary in Memory of Barbara Langstaff: An endowment established at York University in memory of a founding member of CFUW Aurora/Newmarket who died in 1992. This bursary is awarded to a mature female student who has returned to school; is a resident of York Region; and is enrolled in a degree program at York University. The 2019 Award was $1240. The amount varies each year. Application may be made through the Division of Advancement, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto.
- Mary Pegg Education Award: As well, the Charitable Trust facilitates the awarding of the Mary Pegg Education Award. The family of a long-standing member, Mary Pegg, who passed away in March 2014, has established an award in her memory. Funding will be provided for up to a four year scholarship to be presented every year to one candidate for each year until 2026.